Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Doug Bucci: Personal Art

Doug Bucci is "one of my favorite kinds of artist" on several levels.

For one, he specializes in metals, which I love. I myself have next to no experience working in metals, but I can always admire the work of someone who has that experience and talent. He also makes art on a very personal level. His work is very self-reflective, which I can respect. (It's similar to a lot of my work, in that sense, although our end topics are completely different.)

Bucci has Type 1 diabetes, and that aspect of his life has shaped the content of his art. Some of his most notable pieces are his red blood cell sculpture and his abstracted red blood cell necklace and his (fake) emergency insulin kit.

In my opinion, Bucci has the right idea. Or at least partially. Yes, I do strongly believe that the artist is basically Emerson's Poet -- seeing the world and basically putting it to words and articulating it for the rest of the human race who are not quite so articulate. However, I do feel that art should be personal too. I've always had a soft spot for esoteric art. I think I just feel that an artist should feel connected to his work.


P.S. For some reason Blogger won't let me post pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment